Laptops4Kids - Build Process
How to Build a Laptop Suitable for Laptops4Kids
System Minimum Requirements
- Dual core modern-ish CPU
- 4GB Ram
- 120GB Hard drive
Build Installation Steps
- Create a bootable Windows 10 USB stick using the media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
- Copy the autounattend.xml file to the root of the USB stick
- Boot system from USB stick, select the language, click OK, and when prompted enter the Windows License Key. The installation process is semi automated from this point forward
The system will reboot and if you see the language selection again, remove the USB stick and reboot the machine causing it to reboot the newly installed Windows 10
Post OS Installation Tasks
- Label the laptop with the specifications (eg. 2GHz Dual Core, 4GB Ram, 250GB HD, Webcam, Mic)
- Test Webcam
- Test Mic
- Test Wifi Works
- Test Speakers
- Run Windows Update
- Update Spreadsheet
- Note down any hardware that needs fixing (eg. needs a new mic purchased, or RAM needs expanding to 4GB), whether a windows licence is needed, and any other pertinent information.
When needed install the appropriate drivers to get the important hardware working.
Ideally we want to give out Windows 10 systems, but some computers are not powerful enough to support Windows 10, however they may still work well using Lubuntu (Lightweight Ubuntu).