East Essex Hackspace is a charity hackerspace in Hawkwell, Essex: a community-run workshop where people come to share tools and knowledge.
We provide metal, wood and 3D printing workshop facilities, a computer lab with an electronics workbench and a dedicated laser cutting room. There is also social/communal space with A/V equipment for meetings, lectures and workshops.
The building was originally a sports pavilion and has been provided by Rochford District Council with a lease until October 2027. Significant work was done throughout 2020 and 2021 by the Trustees and other volunteers to make it into a pleasant environment.
Membership and Subscriptions
Lifetime membership is just a one-off £5 and enables voting rights.
After membership is paid you can access the space with a monthly £10 subscription which can be cancelled/restarted anytime without having to repay the original £5 membership fee.
Subscriptions provide access to the workshops and all funds go to paying bills, buying consumables and the maintenance and purchase of equipment.
Why join & subscribe?
- 24/7 access - some restrictions on noisy tools - please remember our local residents!
- Access to excellent workshop and meeting facilities, bookable for events, subject to Trustee approval
- Wood Workshop - well equipped for working in wood and other soft materials
- Metal Workshop - larger machine tools unlikely to be found in a typical hobbyist shed
- Computer Lab - general purpose computers but installed with special software for making, designing and learning
- Electronics Workbench - suitable for project work, troubleshooting and repair
- 3D printer Lab - multiple printers for different tasks
- Two CO2 Laser cutters - powerful semi-professional machines
- Social/learning space - with decent A/V equipment and seating for up to twenty people
- Kitchen - refurbished with facilities to make hot drinks and warm snacks
- Free Internet access
- Input to tool procurement with space funds.
- Free/Reduced software for space machinery including:
- Lightburn Laser Software licence £16pa for use on space laser(Usually $90)
- (Coming soon!) Free access to VCarve Pro for use on space CNC
- Access to fully supported AutoCAD on space computers
- Access to SolidWorks on space computers
If you find yourself using the space and getting real value out of it, you can pay an optional additional contribution which we can, if you are eligible, claim gift aid on increasing your donation by 25%.
How to join & subscribe
If you're not sure, visit us on a Tuesday evening from around 8pm to get a workshop tour/induction & meet some of the members!
Join at http://checkout.eehack.space and pay your £5 lifetime membership
Get an induction (Tuesdays from 8pm!)
Subscribe at http://checkout.eehack.space and setup a £10pcm card payment.
Once your £10pcm has been processed, you can collect your access card from a Trustee on a Tuesday evening.
Rules and code of conduct
The Hackspace has a small number of rules relating to the use of facilities, common to many similar organisations and while on-site (or using our virtual spaces such as Discord) we expect you to adhere to our code of conduct.
Failure to follow these will be handled by our grievance procedure. Membership of the Hackspace is 18+ only, unaccompanied children are not allowed on-site but as a community space, families are welcome so long as any children are supervised.
Events and workshops
Tuesday evenings are set aside as an open night, social night and when the inductions for new members are conducted. Following the full opening of the Hackspace we are expecting to run more special events and workshops.
Effort has been made to keep the Hackspace accessible to those with reduced mobility.